Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Stubborn or just determined?

Pups were getting out of the playpen, so I had taken an old cardboard box and cut it down and placed it in the opening. It was high enough for BG to get in but the pups couldn't get out. Or so I thought. Yesterday morning I came in and the box was down and pups were out, again.

We have some of those walk thru gates, as I have mentioned before. I took an extra part of one of them and zip tied it across the opening of the pen, raising the height of the bottom part of the opening. This morning, guess who was out again? Spring, and she was contently sleeping next to mom on her bed. I put her back in the playpen and am now trying to think of something else I can put across the opening that miss "thing" can't climb over. But right now I am drawing a blank.

Yesterday I had something interesting happen and so I thought for any of my readers who do not know how this whole getting a puppy from a show breeder works, I would explain so as to avoid any future confusion. I can't speak for all breeders, but I can tell you how I work.

When I plan a litter, and that isn't very often as I have said before, it is with the hopes that there will not only be sound, healthy puppies with good temperaments, but that there will also be something suitable to show in conformation. I look at the intended sire and dam and their pedigrees to try to get an idea of how their offspring might turn out. Of course both parents have already been hearing tested and found to be bilaterally hearing. They have had their hips xrayed and eyes tested for any hereditary problems. I am a bit of a stickler for thyroid testing.  I also make sure both dogs are up to date on vaccinations.

I don't breed dogs with temperaments that are not in keeping with the standard. And I don't breed dogs with any genetic health issues. And I don't breed often. My last litter here was almost 3 years ago.

Once the breeding has taken place, I make sure the bitch gets enough food, exercise and care to ensure she has a healthy litter. I make sure everything I will need for the puppies is ready, and I contact those people on my waiting list to let them know there are puppies on the way. I try to make sure they understand how my process works for determining show vs pet or companion puppies. But sometimes one slips thru the cracks and misunderstanding occurs.

My process if as follows: pups are born and I now know how many, and what color and sex they are, but not much else is known. Dewlcaws are removed in a day or two.

Once eyes are open and spotting begins to come thru, I can now tell who might have a blue eye and who might be open, medium, or heavily spotted.

Once the puppies are about 2-3 weeks old I can begin to tell who can hear and who cannot. But there is still more to come.

At 6 weeks, the pups are taken to a veterinarian for BAER or  brainstem auditory evoked response testing to find out if puppies hear in both ears or not . They also get a full exam and first puppy vaccination and worming.

At 7 weeks the puppies are temperament tested. The results of this will help determine if the puppy will  be best suited for a show or companion home.

Then at 8 weeks there is a final structural evaluation to see who has show or conformation "potential." Nothing is for sure, but temperament and structure as well as hearing, eye color and markings all help to make that determination. Any puppy I feel will not be suitable for showing, as well as any patched puppies, will be available as companions or pets, and will be sold with the understanding that it will be spayed or neutered.

These puppies are by no means inferior, but for one reason or another, they are just not what I want to take into the show ring. They could be suited for obedience or performance events and will make a wonderful, healthy, sound addition to any family.

The majority of the people on my waiting list understand this process. They may have to wait a few weeks to find out what they will be able to choose from, unless there is a patch. They may place a deposit on the litter, which will determine in what order they may choose a puppy once I know what is available to them. But it by no means guarantees that they will have "pick of the litter."

Occassionally I get that person who wants a "show quality" puppy, but does not want to show it. Just wants a perfect looking companion or family member. These people are often disappointed as I know of very few, actually I can't think of any, show breeders who will sell their pick puppy as a pet. We all work very hard to make sure each generation is better than the previous one and any puppy who lives up to those expectations is certainly going to be given every chance to earn a championship and be included in any future breeding program.

Well, I hope I have provided a reasonable explanation of how things work and hopefully have prevented any future misunderstandings. Of course, there are no guarantees.

No comments:

Post a Comment