Friday, July 8, 2011

In transition

Well, today was a turning point for puppy Jack. He went in to the vet for his last puppy vaccination and since he has begun to get his big boy teeth, he was able to have his rabies vaccination as well. He weighed 36 pounds today! Getting to be a big boy and I almost can't pick him up any more. That makes me a little sad as he loves to be carried and held. I will have to explain to him about the humans not being able to carry the big dog soon.

The puppies are also growing. They were 3 weeks old yesterday but I had made a trip to Ventura on Wednesday and got back yesterday afternoon. Too pooped to get on and do my blog. Today I have a bit of a migraine, but I'm here.

Spring weighed 4 lbs and 2 oz. She is getting prettier every day. Her little face is just beautiful and her markings are looking nice. None of the pups looks to be heavily spotted so far. There may be a run here or there but for the most part I think they will be nicely marked. I will try to add some photos tomorrow as my camera had not been charged up in awhile and it decided to die as I started to take photos of the pups.

Summer is my laid back boy. He weighed 4 lbs and 4 oz today. He already comes to me when I go to the opening of the play pen and make kissy sounds or say pup pup pup. I think he is going to be a very smart boy. And handsome too!

Winter is going thru a phase. This week it is Winter who squeals when she is picked up. Funny, last week it was Autumn. Today Autumn was very content to be held. I guess they are each developing at their own pace. Winter's weight was also 4 lbs and 4 oz.

What can I say about Autumn? If she didn't have that patch on her ear, I think she would be my keeper. She will also come to me when I "call" the pups. The patch is just on the ear, not any of the surrounding area like Winter's ear patch that spills over to the side of her head some. Today she weighed 3 lbs and 12 oz. A bit smaller than the other 3 pups, but still over a pound more than last week so no worries.

I had been a little concerned about Ryder lately. The puppies are in a little room off my big dog room at the south end of the house. When we remodled a couple of years ago we took down a wall that divided the kitchen and a long hallway that ran down to the laundry room. Off the kitchen, there was a door that closed off the end of the hallway. It was nice so when I let dogs out of the dog room, they could not go anywhere except outside and not into the rest of the house.

Well, in taking down that wall it made the kitchen much bigger and eliminated about half of the hallway space. The door was also eliminated. Taking the place of the door is now a walk thru gate we got at PetSmart. It serves the same purpose as a door but it is not as solid.

Anyway, I noticed that when I would let BG out to go potty, if Ryder was standing on the other side of the gate he would grumble at her. Now Ryder is the daddy of the pups and before they were born, the two of them were like a couple. They loved each other. Ryder would nibble on her ear and she would make the cutest faces at him. But now it seemed as if the love affair was over and something had gone wrong between them.

I had sought some advice and got a few suggestions as to what I should do, never thinking I should just ask my husband. Well his solution, was to let Ryder into the dog room, with the gate between the big room and the puppy room and see what he did. So ok, cautiously I let him in and John stood by the gate to where the puppies are and BG was on the other side.

Ryder came in and totally ignored BG and the noisy pups, grabbed his bunny that his Auntie Lisa gave him for Easter, and began to run around the room with it. John called him and eventually Ryder came over to see BG. He grumbled a little under his breath at first, but within a few seconds was giving BG kisses thru the bars of the gate.

So I am thinking that it must have been the smell of the puppies on BG that Ryder did not recognize and he was thinking there was either something wrong with BG or it wasn't BG. Who knows what is in a 2 1/2 year old boy dog's brain? Anyway, I think things will be fine once the pups are weaned and BG is back to smelling like BG again. Another crisis averted, at least for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment