Thursday, July 21, 2011

Something to sink your teeth into

The puppies are five weeks old today. Too big to fit on my baby scale so no weights this time. I was a little late getting them started on puppy food as I was in So Cal last weekend and left G-pa to puppysit and didn't want to make things too rough for him. So started giving food on Sunday and boy were they ready! Now I think I have created four little monsters. They can't seem to get enough!

Well, it looks like things are starting to come together with homes.



Spring possibly has a home if I decide she is not show quality. Right now even though none of the pups was too sure about the grooming table and they were all a little nervous, a couple are looking alright. Spring has a tough girl attitude and would make a good show dog provided her structure turns out equally as well. This was the first time on the grooming table and Spring was not too concerned. I did try to bait them with peanut butter but they would have none of that.



As I have mentioned before, Summer has a home whether he is show or pet quality. Very nice people who had a litter sister to my Miss Molly. They have waited a long time for this boy and I hope he lives up to their expectations. While not quite as confident as Spring, Summer did alright on the table. In the playpen he often feels the need to be heard. And like sisters Spring and Winter, has the lungs to back it up! But look at that face. Could you say no to that? I think not.



Winter is still available. She is very sweet and soooo cute! Her little patched ear reminds me of a French baret. She was a little nervous on the table but would not have any of the peanut butter so I had to do the best I could with getting her sort of stacked. You can see by the tail curving that it was wagging the whole time, so while nervous, she was not afraid.



Autumn did not like being on the table at all. She did lick a little of the peanut butter but I could not get her to stay still. I plan to put her on the table a little every day and see if she will eventually get used to being on it. Autumn hopefully has a home in CO where I am sure she will make an excellent  companion.

All puppies should have some basic training in obedience. Sit, stay, down, come etc. will help them to be good house dogs and good citizens wherever they go. Yes, Dalmatians can be service dogs and therapy dogs too. Contrary to popular belief, they are highly intelligent and learn quickly but need consistency and a firm hand. I have found the best way to get what I want out of my dogs is to show them what is in it for them. They not only need to know what it is you want them to do, but the reason for doing it. Sounds kind of like a teenager doesn't it? Well they are very much like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment